Your working conditions at UBC are regulated through a collective agreement, negotiated between CUPE 2278 and UBC’s Administration and Human Resources. This collective agreement guarantees such conditions as wages, hours worked, job security, and benefits such as sick leave and a hardship maternity fund.
Highlights of the collective agreement:
Term of Contract (per provincial mandate): September 1, 2014 – August 31, 2019
- Wage Increases (per provincial mandate):
- September 1, 2015 1%
- September 1, 2016 0.5%
- July 1, 2017 1%
- September 1, 2017 0.5%
- July 1, 2018 1%
- September 1, 2018 0.5%
- July 1, 2019 1%
- Economic Stability Dividend (per provincial mandate): Possible additional wage increases if real BC GDP exceeds forecasted GDP.
- Hardship Fund, new Article 3.12:
UBC to establish a permanent annual fund in the amount of 0.25% of annual aggregate union payroll to help partially offset costs related to employment.
- Hours of Work, Article 14.01:
▪ Workday established as 7:30 a.m. – 8 p.m. (except for on-campus night classes).
▪ Certain TAships expanded to include more paid hours and more flexible contracts.
- Parental Leave, Article 17.05:
▪ Reappointment preference no longer jeopardized by taking parental leave.
▪ Expanded Adoption Leave benefits.
- Bereavement Leave, new Letter of Understanding #7:
Language expanded to include any family member or significant other.
- Orientations and Information, Articles 3.02, 3.07, and 12.02:
More consistent language to ensure all members are informed of their rights.
- Departmental Practice Audits, new Article 12.05:
▪ New language to ensure hiring departments are respecting the rules of the Collective Agreement and treating their TAs fairly.
- Protection from academic harm: Protection from threats to your academic progress resulting from a workplace issue or discipline
- Annual extended health care rebate cheque, given to all members at the end of the spring term
- Hiring preference and Job Security
- Once hired, Doctoral students are guaranteed five consecutive years of work
- Once hired, Master’s students are guaranteed two consecutive years
- Note that hiring preference is dependent upon departmental budgets and student awards.
- Leave and Time Off:
- 8 hours paid vacation leave per term (reduced for partial TAships)
- 12 hours paid sick leave per term (reduced for partial TAships)
- Leave for conferences, comprehensive exams, dissertations, and/or thesis defenses
The old CUPE2278 collective agreement can be downloaded here. When the new Collective Agreement is completed, it will be posted here. The main points of the current agreement (2014-2019) can be downloaded here: Quick Guide to Our Collective Agreement.