It’s time to elect your representatives! We will hold a general meeting/nominations meeting on October 2nd, at 5 pm in the GSS Ballroom.
At the meeting, we will be accepting nominations for new members to join the union executive. This is a great way to get involved in the union and to support your fellow TAs. Although some executive members will be re-applying, any union member is welcome to run for any position. Available positions are listed below; all openings are for a one-year term.
- President (chairs meetings and generally keeps the union running smoothly; active on external committees)
- Vice-President (prepares meeting agendas and assists the President)
- Secretary-Treasurer (keeps track of the budget, with the help of our Administrative Coordinator)
- Recording Secretary (keeps accurate records of meetings and internal communications)
- Information Officer (works to keep members informed of their rights under the collective agreement)
- Education Officer (works with the Information Officer to educate members about the union)
- Chief Negotiator (works with our Business Manager and National Servicing Representative on the bargaining committee, as we negotiate a new collective agreement)
- Health and Safety Officer (chairs the Health and Safety Committee and attends university-wide health and safety meetings on behalf of the union)
Positions will also be available on the By-law Review Committee. This is a short-term commitment, and committee members will be involved in writing new by-laws for CUPE 2278.
Finally, we will also elect someone who is not a member of the union executive committee to serve as a Trustee, i.e. someone to oversee activity by the executive and ensure that by-laws are followed. This position is also available for a one-year term.
Elections, and our Annual General Membership meeting, will subsequently be held on October 16th, at 5 pm, in room 202 in Buchanan building A. This is a great opportunity for you to get out and ask us about any questions or concerns you may have about your TAship! We’ll also be discussing our plans for the upcoming year, including bargaining for our next collective agreement.
Hope to see you there!
Caitlin Donnelly (website person)